Skip to main content

Coming Home to Island House - Erica James


It’s the summer of 1939, and after touring an unsettled Europe to promote her latest book, Romily Temple returns home to Island House and the love of her life, the charismatic Jack Devereux. 

But when Jack falls ill, his estranged family are called home and given seven days to find a way to bury their resentments and come together. 

With war now declared, each member of the family is reluctantly forced to accept their new stepmother and confront their own shortcomings. But can the habits of a lifetime be changed in one week? And can Romily, a woman who thrives on adventure, cope with the life that has been so unexpectedly thrust upon her?

My Review
I really enjoyed this book, but Erica James is along one of my favourite authors.
I enjoyed the older aspect of this book, it didn’t have the past and present chapter things going on which I really liked. It was nice to have a historical novel from Erica that doesn’t jump.
The characters on this book were great, they all had their different aspects that you could love or hate. There are people in the village who look down on the family due to their unconventional relationships, being 1939. However, it shows that family is more important than anything else.
I really liked how when members of the family came home, old relationships were explored and explained. Trials and tribulations occurred and yet, family is best.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and with it having an aspect of WW2 starting, really drew me in. It was a just one more chapter book for me.
5 stars
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

Dragon River - Rob Saunders

Buy Here 10 things about Rob..... When he is working as a commercial artist he is known as Bob His most high profile work is creating the soft scuplted foam face make up and the mask for the Phantom in productions of Phantom of the Opera. [Although of course not right now] He has created award winning lifelike pelican puppets for a Kit Kat commercial which was shown in Germany. The London company Applied Arts, established by Bob, is now run by his colleague Mark, who is currently working on a new production of the musical Cats opening in South Korea in the autumn. [www.appliedarts.co.uk] Bob has judged Stage Magician of the Year for the Magic Circle. In recent years Bob has worked with both Derren Brown and Dynamo to develop ideas for their stage shows. He is married to Kate has 3 children and 4 grandchildren with another on the way. He has worked in the West Indies developing a puppet show for the BBC. After maki