Skip to main content

The Christmas Calendar Girls - Samantha Tonge


Davina untucked her legs and rubbed her forehead. ‘To be honest I’ve been worrying all week. Have you heard about it being under threat?’
I frowned. In the spring I’d grown to know Chesterwood’s food bank well whilst researching a story on local unemployment. I’d met Kit’s eyes across a stack of tinned tuna and was immediately hooked. The wild mocha hair. Tall toned frame. The surprisingly shy smile that caught me off-guard. I hadn’t looked at another man like that since Adam, yet all this while I’d felt nothing but friendship for Kit – until our recent cinema visit.
‘Up until now the warehouse it’s based in has been charging minimal rent just to cover the rates. As you know, Fern, it’s only small. The landlord inherited it and hasn’t previously wanted the bother of doing much with it. But a developer has shown interest and made him realise he’s missing out on some serious money.’
This didn’t sound good.
‘He had no idea the property had such potential and wanted to sell up straightaway but Ron who runs it talked him round.’
‘So what’s the problem exactly?’ I asked.
‘The landlord has said unless they can start paying a competitive level of rent he’ll have to evict them.’ Davina shook her head. ‘It’s an astronomical amount. Not outlandish in terms of the market – in fact modest, by all accounts – but for a strapped organisation that previously has hardly had to pay a penny…’
‘The news must have been such a shock,’ said Cara. She sat a little straighter. ‘The community should do something about this.’
I exchanged glances with Davina. It was nice to see a glimpse of the old Cara who always roped Davina and me into supporting her latest cause. Like the animal rescue centre last year that the council had stopped funding. She’d baked cookies with cat faces on to feed the demonstrators standing outside in the rain. However, she’d just not been herself lately.
‘Yes. Ron looks even more tired than usual. With more wintry weather approaching volunteers can hardly cope with demand, as it is, and he’s working all hours,’ said Davina. ‘The food bank’s account can just cover rent until the end of December, but after that who knows what will happen. He’s going to approach as many charities as possible in the hope that the place will be able to operate under their umbrella, and gain support and funding that way. Initial talks have made him feel optimistic that might happen but setting it up will take time. Max and I gave a donation
‘That was good of you,’ said Cara. ‘I wish John and I were in a position to do the same but I account for every penny that we spend, and there’s never much left over after the essentials each month.’
‘Same here,’ I said. Adam’s death had paid off the mortgage but there were still living costs. Much-needed holidays to save for, along with university funds for Lily one day – and my old age. I never used to think much about things like that but Adam’s death had brought my finances sharply into focus. I was now very aware of the fact that Lily was dependent on me alone, and that I needed to be completely self-sufficient.
Davina shrugged. ‘There was only so much we could give, especially as our earnings haven’t been as high this year. Ron really needs to cover January’s rent, as well, to tide the food bank over properly until a more permanent rescue plan is in place – and to give the landlord the reassurance he wants that they are committed to paying long-term.’
The food bank couldn’t close down. I’d seen first-hand how it changed people’s lives, offering hope to those who didn’t know where their next meal was coming from. And it benefited the community in so many other ways, bringing people together and reducing food waste. Local supermarkets, restaurants and hotels all donated goods they’d otherwise have to pay to store or throw away.
Not that I’d known any of this until researching my article. And I doubted many people in the community did. A food bank was one of those essential, highly important places that nevertheless existed away from sight, in the background.
She sighed. ‘Anyway, enough about my concerns – Cara, has Hannah got over that nasty bug yet? Did little Lex catch it?’
I listened to Cara reply, relishing the relaxation. It was the autumn half-term holiday and the three of us had been keen to meet. I tried to plan my work so that I could free up days whenever the schools broke up. There was never enough time to chat in the playground. The children were currently upstairs in Arlo’s bedroom practising a play they’d made up, about dragons, that they wanted to perform to us before lunch.
‘So, Fern – what are you wearing on tomorrow’s date?’ said Davina briskly. ‘I meant to ask yesterday, at the indoor play area.’
Cara stopped stroking the cat. ‘Date? How come I’m the last to know?’
‘Because it’s not a date,’ I said firmly and glared at Davina who had a gleam in her eye.
‘Oh please. This Oliver guy has asked you out to dinner. And quite right too. You are giving his mindfulness venture a plug in your column.’
‘It’s business. And there’s been nothing remotely flirtatious about our emails,’ I said, thinking the sleet outside must be nice and cooling. The colder weather had come early this year.
‘Gosh… this is your first, isn’t it? Since…’ Cara’s voice softened.
Since Adam? It was. And my lack of enthusiasm towards Oliver didn’t mean I wouldn’t be ready to meet someone else if the right person came along. My thoughts flicked to Kit.
Last night we’d gone on one of our cinema trips. We both loved science fiction. The only seats left were in the back row. Kit had winked and I’d laughed. We sat down next to a young couple with their arms around each other.
‘I’ve only got eyes for ice cream at the movies,’ Kit had whispered, holding up two Cornettos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

Dragon River - Rob Saunders

Buy Here 10 things about Rob..... When he is working as a commercial artist he is known as Bob His most high profile work is creating the soft scuplted foam face make up and the mask for the Phantom in productions of Phantom of the Opera. [Although of course not right now] He has created award winning lifelike pelican puppets for a Kit Kat commercial which was shown in Germany. The London company Applied Arts, established by Bob, is now run by his colleague Mark, who is currently working on a new production of the musical Cats opening in South Korea in the autumn. [www.appliedarts.co.uk] Bob has judged Stage Magician of the Year for the Magic Circle. In recent years Bob has worked with both Derren Brown and Dynamo to develop ideas for their stage shows. He is married to Kate has 3 children and 4 grandchildren with another on the way. He has worked in the West Indies developing a puppet show for the BBC. After maki