Skip to main content

A Country Dilemma - Sasha Morgan


From the first evening they had met, Stephen and Christie had been inseparable. Weekends were spent with either Stephen travelling to the Lake District, or Christie to Chester. They had lots in common, both middle children to two sisters, with a close-knit family and circle of friends. A whole new group had been formed, as both sets of friends genuinely gelled well. Once they had announced their engagement after exactly one year, they all went wild and a mother of all parties had been thrown. Happy days.
Then, after a year of blissful marriage, the cracks began to show. Christie badly wanted to save and save, to achieve her goal of buying a hotel. She was by then the manager of a small, boutique hotel in Chester city. And whilst Stephen still liked the idea of owning his own business, his lifestyle somehow didn’t involve making the necessary sacrifices to accomplish this. He still played rugby, every weekend now, as well as attending practice nights during the week. These inevitably would end in a drinking session, often followed by slipping into town and finishing up in a club. Basically, he’d reverted back to his single days. Christie had begun to feel helpless. It was hard watching her husband who had once shared her ambitions gradually morph into a drunken slob who only lived for his boozy nights with his mates.
After three months of growing tired waiting for Stephen to come home sober in an evening, or even come home at all, Christie had had enough. She packed her bags one Friday night after returning home late from work to a note saying, “Gone out. Probably stay at Ash’s tonight.” Well, good for him, thought Christie. Ash was welcome to him. With grit and sheer determination, she hauled two suitcases and a rucksack to Chester railway station and never looked back.
Within a week Stephen followed, full of remorse. He’d promised her the earth, anything, anything, if only she’d come back home with him. Even a baby. This was his trump card, knowing full well Christie had secretly started to yearn for one. Up until now he’d always brushed away the notion of parenthood, claiming they were both too young and ambitious. When Christie had pointed out he actually didn’t seem as motivated as her anymore, he vehemently swore he’d change. So compelling were his claims, that Christie – convinced of her husband’s promises – found herself back in Chester and trying to conceive.
Then more cracks appeared. It just wasn’t happening. Month after month saw Christie on the verge of tears as the blue line on the pregnancy testing kits refused to play ball. Why? What was happening, or not happening? It further saddened her when Stephen feared it could be his fault, as though his manhood was in question. Well, a rugby player being labelled a “jaffa” was hardly what one envisaged, was it? So much so, that he made Christie promise not to tell a soul. The party line was they weren’t trying. They didn’t want children just yet – that was the patter she’d have to rattle out if anyone asked. Even though, deep down, having a baby became the only thing Christie did want. So badly it graduated into an obsession.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

How to say goodbye - Katy Colins

Buy Here Prologue  I straightened my chiffon scarf so the small forget-menots lay flat against my crisp, white shirt. A quick tug of my sleeves, brushing off imaginary fluff, a pat of my hair, tied back in a neat ponytail, and I was as ready as I would ever be. My rubber-soled shoes allowed me to silently do the last check of the small room. Every seat was presentable – the flowers arranged just so – and the windows and mirrors were spotless. Not a fingerprint or smudge in sight. The lights were set to the correct level, the gaudy air freshener that had been here when I’d arrived was where it belonged – in the bin – the synthetic lily of the valley scent no longer catching at the back of your throat. I smiled at the calming space. It looked perfect. It had been another late night, preparing for today and the other services I had this week. I could hear my boss Frank’s voice warning me that I was going to end up burnt out if I wasn’t careful. I’d already had niggles with my n