Skip to main content

The Secret Letter - Kerry Barrett



Prologue
Esther

December 1910

I picked up the letter I’d written and read it over to myself. I knew he’d never see it, but it
made me feel better, just putting my feelings down on paper. Putting everything that had
happened behind me.
‘Sometimes the fight is part of the fun,’ I’d written. I smiled sadly. That was exactly how
I felt, and why everything had gone so wrong between us; there had just been no fight.
Picking up my pen again, I signed the letter with a flourish and then wafted the paper,
waiting for the ink to dry. I wouldn’t send it. There was no need. But I wanted to keep it
somewhere safe, somewhere I could find it if I ever needed to remember why I’d done what
I’d done.
I glanced round my small bedroom, looking for inspiration, and my eyes fell on my fabric
bag, stuffed under the bed. I pulled it out and opened it and found inside the wooden
photograph frame holding the only photograph I had of my former love. Perfect. But first I
had to change something else. On my bedside table was my journal and tucked inside was a
photograph of myself. It had been taken at a recent suffragette rally and vain as it sounded, I
loved the way it made me look. I had my chin raised slightly and a flash of fire in my eyes. I
looked like a woman to be reckoned with.
Smiling, I opened the back of the picture frame and took out the photograph that was in
there. Should I throw it away? No, he was part of my past no matter how horribly things had
ended. Instead I put it into the bag and pushed it back under the bed. Then I put the
photograph of myself into the frame, folded up the letter and put it in an envelope, carefully
tucked that behind the photo and fixed the back on securely. I proudly stood the photograph
on my bedside table. I would keep that picture with me, wherever I ended up, and every time
I looked at it I would remember that I had been made stronger by everything that had
happened.
‘The fight goes on, Esther,’ I said to myself. ‘The fight goes on.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

How to say goodbye - Katy Colins

Buy Here Prologue  I straightened my chiffon scarf so the small forget-menots lay flat against my crisp, white shirt. A quick tug of my sleeves, brushing off imaginary fluff, a pat of my hair, tied back in a neat ponytail, and I was as ready as I would ever be. My rubber-soled shoes allowed me to silently do the last check of the small room. Every seat was presentable – the flowers arranged just so – and the windows and mirrors were spotless. Not a fingerprint or smudge in sight. The lights were set to the correct level, the gaudy air freshener that had been here when I’d arrived was where it belonged – in the bin – the synthetic lily of the valley scent no longer catching at the back of your throat. I smiled at the calming space. It looked perfect. It had been another late night, preparing for today and the other services I had this week. I could hear my boss Frank’s voice warning me that I was going to end up burnt out if I wasn’t careful. I’d already had niggles with my n