Skip to main content

Take a Look at Me Now - Kendra Smith



‘Ladies and gentlemen…’ It was the University Chancellor welcoming them back to the campus, telling them that dinner would be served now and to look at the seating plan.
Maddie accepted a refill from another waitress and walked towards the dining hall. She wasn’t exactly scanning the room, but really, she realised, she was. Looking for a certain…
Maddie was suddenly accosted from behind by a shrieking noise. ‘Maddie! Maddie Brown! I knew it would be you! I would have spotted those legs a mile away. I remember them pedalling your bike around the place – always late for lectures!’
It was Liz – from Yorkshire. They’d done second-year Psychology together, sworn to keep in touch on graduation day, then promptly gone off and led very different lives. There was no Facebook back then to keep tabs on people or virtually stalk anyone. But they’d connected a few years ago and were now ‘friends’ on Facebook – hence the invitation to the reunion.
‘How are you, Liz?’ Maddie kissed her on the cheek and wondered quite how many foreign holidays she’d taken as her skin resembled a leather boot. ‘Good to see you.’
They chatted for a while about life now: Liz, four kids, owned a riding school – did Maddie ride? No? Well, there was always a first time – two cats and a dog. Maddie filled Liz in on her only son, Ed, who’d just finished sixth-form college, now in Bali on a gap year, her life working at a school, her husband who was a wine salesman.
It all sounded so normal, didn’t it? So plausible that she was that happily married woman. That she trod an entirely different path to the one in her mind. Eventually, she looked behind Liz’s shoulder to find an escape. As endearing as it was to listen to chat about the menagerie chez Liz, Maddie wanted to meet more old pals. First though, she nipped to the loo and checked her make-up. No, there was no lipstick on her teeth, she just saw a frazzled-looking brunette with a lopsided fringe (cheap hairdresser), hair piled up behind her with a few escaping russet tendrils, wearing an emerald wrap-over jersey-knit dress – good for her bust, not great for the belly. She sighed.
She pulled out some lip gloss and reapplied it. That would do. Grin, girl. She held her own gaze in the mirror for a while and then swiftly turned around and went to the door.
As she was coming out of the ladies’, a figure in the corner made her look twice. If she was honest, she had been thinking about him. It was hard not to in that Great Hall, where even the familiar air of the place brought memories skidding back to her frontal lobe.
She twisted a bit of her hair between her fingers and remembered when she’d first seen him. He’d been down by the beach, at Widemouth Bay. Surfing was his thing and she’d been there because it was Freshers’ Week. She’d been with the Try-to-Surf Club, ten of them giggling in the minibus before pouring out of the bus, heady with the sight of the sea, comparing what their wetsuits would look like. (Without Facebook or Insta, it was just sideways looks and memories. If you were lucky, a Post-it left on your door or a number scribbled on a beer mat.)
Maddie had glanced over, seen the muscly outline whilst she was getting her wetsuit on, and had stopped mid-yank, halfway up her thigh. The musty neoprene remained clamped on her leg. She’d stared at this man as a sensation unfurled in her lower belly; he was no boy.
Now she carefully tucked the loose hair behind her ear with shaky fingers and scanned to the right again in the dim corridor. There were two women talking in hushed tones. One of them had a fascinator in her hair, an electric-blue fluffy creation, and the other was in a tight black pencil skirt. They glanced at Maddie as she wandered past and she caught a whiff of expensive perfume.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

How to say goodbye - Katy Colins

Buy Here Prologue  I straightened my chiffon scarf so the small forget-menots lay flat against my crisp, white shirt. A quick tug of my sleeves, brushing off imaginary fluff, a pat of my hair, tied back in a neat ponytail, and I was as ready as I would ever be. My rubber-soled shoes allowed me to silently do the last check of the small room. Every seat was presentable – the flowers arranged just so – and the windows and mirrors were spotless. Not a fingerprint or smudge in sight. The lights were set to the correct level, the gaudy air freshener that had been here when I’d arrived was where it belonged – in the bin – the synthetic lily of the valley scent no longer catching at the back of your throat. I smiled at the calming space. It looked perfect. It had been another late night, preparing for today and the other services I had this week. I could hear my boss Frank’s voice warning me that I was going to end up burnt out if I wasn’t careful. I’d already had niggles with my n