Skip to main content

One White Lie - Leah Konen


ONE P eople have all sorts of ideas about what they’d do if it happened to them. They’d tell their friends. They’d make that call. They’d leave. They certainly wouldn’t continue on like normal, banging out personal essays or temping at whatever online mag needed a freelance editor for the day. 
They’d tell their family (assuming they still had family in their lives to tell), they’d keep themselves busy (pottery class! political campaigns! yoga!). They’d heal, and they’d move on, and they’d rebuild their lives. That’s what I’d always thought, too. The exit for Woodstock, New York, came into view, my eyes fl itting nervously to the rearview mirror as I quickly pulled off the ramp. 
Suddenly, I was in the country, pastures and horses, run- down schoolhouses, abandoned barns, and bucolic churches sprinkled over the landscape: Rural Mad Libs. I found Shadow Creek Road at the end of a particularly snakelike stretch. I turned, so eager to get out of the car and get to step two of this plan that I hardly slowed at all . . . I slammed on the brakes as the deer froze, staring me down. 
My body lurched forward; Dusty yelped as he thunked against the side of his crate. My blood pumped heavy and fast, fl ushing me with heat. I struggled to catch my breath as the doe’s eyes fl ashed at mine. What are you doing? What in God’s name do you think you’re doing? She pranced away, the heft of her body disappearing into the tall grasses of the meadow, as quickly as she’d come. 
My throat burned hot, acid rising, and I rammed the car into park. I jumped out and rushed to the passenger side, whipping open the back door. “You okay, buddy?” I asked. Dusty licked my hand, my erratic driving apparently not doing him too much harm. “I’m sorry,” I said, attempting to swallow the bitterness in the back of my mouth, nauseated at the realization that I was unable to prevent my own dog from getting hurt.
 I couldn’t bear to lose him, too. A car pulled up behind me, an old butter-yellow Mercedes. In the air, the smell of fried food— Davis and I had once dreamed of converting a diesel Mercedes to run on biodiesel, used cooking oil, free from restaurants. A woman climbed out of the driver’s side, graceful and lithe. Her golden hair shimmered in the sunlight, falling down her back, stick straight. Her cheekbones were high, her boobs perky, and her arms annoyingly taut. She wore black spandex pants and a loose black tank over a hot- pink sports bra— the kind of woman for whom “athleisure” was invented.
 What did she want? “You okay?” she asked, eyes scrunching up with concern. “Do you need help?” Her words made tears prick my eyes. I needed more help than she could possibly know. Quickly, I shut the door as Dusty whined. “It was just a deer,” I managed. “It surprised me, but I’m fi ne.” Before she could say anything else, I was back in my car, shifting into drive. In the rearview mirror, I saw her, eyes locked straight ahead— watching to make sure I was okay, or watching me? She was still following when I reached the farmhouse, the one the agent had told me to look out for. It was gorgeously decrepit, with red siding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of deception - Louise Mangos

Buy Here PROLOGUE The vice of his fingers tightened on my wrist, and tendons crunched as they slid over each other inside my forearm. As he twisted harder, I turned my body in the direction of his grip to try and relieve the pain. His other hand appeared from behind him and the heel of his palm hit the side of my head. As it made contact with my ear, a siren rang in my brain, blocking all other sound. I kicked out, my foot slamming into his shins. His forward momentum increased as he was caught off balance, and his upper body folded. His shoulder glanced off the picture frame on the wall and it fell to the floor with a clatter. The rebound flung him away from me. As he let go of my arm, we fell apart like a tree struck down the middle by lightning. I staggered backwards, calves ramming against the coffee table, pushing it towards the sofa. Terror now ruling my fear, I grabbed the ceramic vase toppling from the table. I swung it ineffectually at his head. I was briefly su

Whatever it Takes - Tadhg Coakley

Buy Here

How to say goodbye - Katy Colins

Buy Here Prologue  I straightened my chiffon scarf so the small forget-menots lay flat against my crisp, white shirt. A quick tug of my sleeves, brushing off imaginary fluff, a pat of my hair, tied back in a neat ponytail, and I was as ready as I would ever be. My rubber-soled shoes allowed me to silently do the last check of the small room. Every seat was presentable – the flowers arranged just so – and the windows and mirrors were spotless. Not a fingerprint or smudge in sight. The lights were set to the correct level, the gaudy air freshener that had been here when I’d arrived was where it belonged – in the bin – the synthetic lily of the valley scent no longer catching at the back of your throat. I smiled at the calming space. It looked perfect. It had been another late night, preparing for today and the other services I had this week. I could hear my boss Frank’s voice warning me that I was going to end up burnt out if I wasn’t careful. I’d already had niggles with my n